Saturday, February 14, 2015

Meier, R. D. (1997, November). Good morning Cedar Rapids. Do you have audio? Reflections on teaching a university distance education course. In Frontiers in Education Conference, 1997. 27th Annual Conference. Teaching and Learning in an Era of Change. Proceedings. (Vol. 3, pp. 1469-1472). IEEE.

Categories: Communication Design, Technology

Summary & Citation:

Iowa State began offering distance eduation courses in 1996. This article is a brief reflections of an Iowa State University professor following his Computer Engineering course. The article's summary includes its primary points:

"I have found my distance class to be one of the most rewarding courses I have taught. The willingness of the dBSEE students to engage the environment and ask questions has re-established my faith in the educational process. I have not found the multimedia equipment to be negative in any way. On the contray, I believe that my teaching techniques have improved: I more effectively use the computer as a teaching tool, I am more aware of student demographics and learning needs, and I have developed a closer relationship to my students in the classroom as more attention is placed on instructor-student interaction. I also find the enthusiasm and creativity of the ... students refreshing. Most... really want to be in the classroom. Their inquisitiveness and hard work are rewarding benefits for the pains caused by the distance separating us" (Meier, 1997, p 1472).